Friday, September 28, 2007

Career choices for a new century

According to the Economist's review of the Mark Penn and E. Kinney Zalesne new book Microtrends: The Small Forces Behind Tomorrow's Big Changes rather bizarrely:
1% of young Californians say they expect to become “snipers”.
I haven't done the maths but I know that the Californian population is about the same as the UK - 60 million - and it is relatively young. Penn argues that 1% of population is a enough to make a significant trend.

From our department of corrections: A kind commenter notes I was hopelessly out on California's population - it's actually about 37 million and a big bit. So about the population of Poland then? I should google that shouldn't I? Otherwise I'm going to get some Polish commenter telling me I'm miles out again...

Oh I'm so good! You definitely want me to be on your pub quiz team. According to Wikipedia, the Polish population is 38.5 million, although from recent trips to the UK I reckon half of them are now working in British shops, hotels and other parts of the service sector - and definitely all the attractive young Polish women now seem to be in the UK (which can only be a great thing for British single blokes). I'm afraid I have no idea how many attractive polish women want to be snipers though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, California's population is "only" 37 million. You really should have done some fact checking in addition to the maths ;)

Anonymous said...

are you drunk? :)